Python and Text Stat

So, I haven’t been able to use textStat because I have a mac and you need to run python on the mac to make TextStat run. The minute I read that on the website, I was like “ha! that’s not happening, I don’t even know what a python is.”

So here I am doing this literary analysis and there is only so much Voyant and do…so I downloaded textstat, and found direction, through google (yay for google) of how to run textstat through python on a mac, I think that was the actual website name.

So here I am, on my terminal window (I learned about that during my spring break coding extravaganza! so exciting!) trying to make my computer do what I want it to do… and I type in commands, copy and paste things, and take a deep breathe, and hit enter.

and Absolutely nothing happens. What a disappointment. I try again, nothing. I go back to the website make sure I didn’t mistype anything, and still nothing. I go to github (again something I learned during spring break, I can’t wait for the semester to end to really get back into it) and they are of no help (granted I didn’t spend much time looking).

What do I do? I right click TextStat, and select the open with  python option….and presto, it works….sigh….I least I didn’t spend hours trying to figure it out through the terminal commands, even though I will eventually try and open textStat through terminal one day!

cd ‘/Users/arianarodriguez/Downloads/TextSTAT-2-1/’ && ‘/usr/bin/pythonw’  ‘/Users/arianarodriguez/Downloads/TextSTAT-2-1/TextSTAT.pyw’ (this was the actual command I needed to know…duh!)